TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Air Bag light issue fix
People Seeking Info

Subject Air Bag light issue fix

Posted by BoucheyZ on September 28, 2023 at 10:54 AM
  This message has been viewed 219 times.

Message Good day all, I am posting a message here after spending a little over a month trying to get my air bag light to shut off. I searched a ton for this information and either I was typing in the wrong words or I am just too old to understand how this internet thing works. Hoping this helps someone.

Background: 94 na to tt conversion Z both front air bags deployed, minimal damage.

I purchased used clock spring, used air bag modules for both driver and passenger, used air bag control module from z1 (under dash above steering column.

After replacing all the parts with new (new to me anyway) parts the air bag light was still on, self-diagnosis was reading 2 blinks which means "the circuit for the driver's air bag module is out of order" according to the manual.

Since all of these parts were "new" I was a bit confused. The manual states to replace one or all of 1. spiral cable (clock spring), 2. driver's air bag module (air bag itself), 3. diagnosis (control) unit (unit under dash above steering column), and/or 4. main harness.

I checked continuity of all parts and everything was fine. There were no breaks in any of the wiring. I ended up re-ordering everything, but this time I was careful on what parts I ordered. I made sure to get the exact year and model for my vehicle (it may seem like an obvious thing to do in hindsight, but at the time I was under the impression that these parts were interchangeable).

It ended up being an issue with the clock spring. I have a 94 na to tt conversion. The module that was in the vehicle was the original one. I ended up having to order a TT version. The issue is now resolved. No clue as to why it was resolved. There could have easily been an issue with the coil spring in all 3 previous ones I tried, or maybe it was something else.

Hopefully this helps anyone else having a similar issue.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.